Monday, November 21, 2016

Candy Crush

A few weeks ago there was this certain holiday that makes being a mom HARD.  You know the one.  Your kids dress up adorably, go knocking on random people's doors, and are given huge handfuls of CANDY...  Everyday from that day forward until all the candy runs out, every mother in America gets hounded constantly for CANDY.  Who came up with this horrible scenario??? 

Just yesterday my sweet little angel baby came up to me and angelically asked me for a piece of candy, to which I immediately responded "UM, NO!"  Didn't the little cherub remember he had already had enough junk that day????  Obviously not...  Right there before my eyes my little cherub turned into one of those Halloween goblins.  He whined, he cried and then when all that didn't work he says the meanest words a mommy can ever hear, "Well, I'm not gonna lub ju anymore!" 

Why you little bitty ball of frustration how dare you say that to me.  Do you know how much of my very being I have sacrificed to give you everything in this world that I think you need??????  How dare you.  I didn't say all that of course.  I just went about my business.  I know he's gonna love me in about 2.5 seconds when he makes his very next request, but this whole episode got me to thinking, about how I act the same way with the one who loves me the most.

Oh Lord, how many times have I asked and you have not given me what I wanted?  How many times have I cried and thrown a fit when you didn't provide the thing I wanted most?  When I looked with my limited perspective and deemed the object of my affection good, because well, it looks good... it's got to be good for me, and besides I JUST WANT IT!!!!!!

I want it.  I WANT it.  I WANT IT!  If you don't give it to me I'm not going to love you.  Forget all the good you have given me.  Forget about the sacrifice you have made for me, to forgive me of my sins and provide eternal life for me.  Forget that in those things your goodness and love for me has been proven a million times over.  Forget that I know that you are a good Father, who will give me every good thing I need...  I want that thing and I want it now. 

But, what if that thing isn't good for me?!?!  Do I trust you to decide what is good for me?  Do I love you enough to receive your yes, as well as, your NO?  This is the question I have asked myself many times in the last few years. The answer is always the same...

"Every GOOD and PERFECT gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation, neither shadow of turning."  James 2:17

YOU ARE GOOD.  You know what's best for me and you are so good that, IF something were good for me, you would give it to me.  If something is not good for me, You will withhold that thing, no matter how much I beg, steal or borrow to get it, because YOU ARE GOOD.

David says in Psalms 119:75 "I KNOW, O LORD, that your judgments are right, and that you in faithfulness have afflicted me."

God had afflicted David in faithfulness.  That's a hard pill to swallow.  Sometimes affliction is the good thing that you will give to me.  Sometimes instead of getting a shining, colorful piece of candy, you hand me a stinking glass of apple cider vinegar...  cuz that's really what's good for me. 

No matter what though if I trust that you are good I can rest assured that...

"Blessed be the LORD, who daily loads us with benefits, even the God of our salvation." Psalms 68:19

You are good.  It's hard for me to remember that when you tell me no and withhold from me something that I "think" I want.  You know better than I do.  You know what that thing will eventually cost me.  You know better than I do...  Help me remember and believe that everything that you do is for my good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by... let me know what's on your mind!

You've changed

 It's a subtle thing that I don't think people even realize they are doing but it's always there, that look in their eyes and th...