Thursday, June 4, 2015

Pig sty

I woke up this morning covered in pig slop.  I looked around disoriented, wondering just how I got here.  It's all a blur.  I remember being with my Father and having all that I could need or want, but deciding to leave and see if there was something out there in the world that I was missing.   It's been a while since I walked away and I've been all over, lost all that I had, and suffered through a famine.  Here I am sitting in this pig pen starving to the point that I would gladly eat what the pigs don't, but I remember My Father's house.  I remember that, with Him, I had all I needed.  I was never hungry.  I was loved and honored, but I know he's disappointed.  I know he would never take me back as his child, maybe we he would let me come back and be his servant.  Maybe I'll head back home and see what happens.  I have my speech all planned out.  I'll beg forgiveness.  I'll make promises.  Yeah that will work...

My stomach hurts, my heart is beating fast, and my palms are sweaty...  I'm almost there.  Just over the rise and I will be home.  I'm so embarrassed.  What is everyone going to think?  What's my Father going to do?  Wait...  I see someone.  OH MY GOODNESS It's Dad.  He's running towards me.  He must have been watching for me.  "Dad, I um..." 

Before I can get the rest out he's holding me in his arms and kissing my cheek.  I hear him as if I'm faraway, but he's saying "I love you, I've missed you, I'm so glad you came back.  I've waited here everyday waiting for you to come home.  Let's have a party to celebrate your return my child." 

And He arose, and came to his father.  BUT when he was a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him."  Luke 15:20

The story of the Prodigal son is my story.  I'm so prone to stray from my Father. I'm not sure how it happens, but even though I know I have all I need in Christ I walk away.  It's starts out innocently enough I think...  maybe it's a busy day, but then it turns into days and weeks far away from God.  This morning I woke up knowing today was the day I had to head home, I couldn't take one more day away from my Father, but it's always hard to turn around.  When I opened my Bible this morning I went to Psalms.  I always find comfort there.   This morning I was drawn to Psalms 145...  and these words were like a balm to my soul...

The Lord is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.  vs 8. 

That is exactly want I needed to remember this morning and that reminded me of the story of the Prodigal and how his Father was waiting for him and had compassion on him. 

Gracious- pleasantly kind.  Doesn't that describe our God.

Compassion- a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken with misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

Mercy- compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender.

It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is Thy faithfulness.  Lamentations 3:22-23

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love for I put my trust in YOU.  Psalms 143:8

He was waiting for me this morning.  Standing at the top of that hill, running to embrace me, eager to forgive.  He was not waiting with a lecture, but ready to throw a party. 

Last night before bed I was frustrated with Caleb for not eating dinner, but this morning when he came running in the room, all of that had been forgotten, and I was waiting for him and ready to lavish him with that morning love.  Just like my Father in heaven was ready this morning to draw me in and restore my soul once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by... let me know what's on your mind!

You've changed

 It's a subtle thing that I don't think people even realize they are doing but it's always there, that look in their eyes and th...