Thursday, May 21, 2015

NO, not that.

There are two tiny dictators (in training) that live in this house.  All day long they demand what they want.  Gum, candy, ice cream, chips, anything bad for them.  One demanded everyday for all of winter to go swimming...  Never thought I would have to say NO that!  I mean DUDE don't you feel how cold it is out here???  Can you just imagine with me what would happen if I let that little guy have what he wanted?  Swimming in 40 degree weather, I would be the worst mom ever.   After having that conversation 25 times though I really did think about it.  You know he would jump in and out in a hot minute and then he would cry because he was soooooooo cold and NEVER want to do that again.  Maybe I should have taught him a lesson.

We can all be that way can't we.  Just because we desire something doesn't mean it's good for us, but we want it anyway, and we beg and plead and WHINE.  There is so much we don't know that God does know.  He has plans and purposes for our lives that are for our GOOD.  There is a big difference between a good plan and a plan for OUR good.  I remember a time when I was dead set on what I wanted and I wasn't going to stop until I got it.  I didn't trust God that he knew better than I did, but one day after very serious thought (mostly God giving me stuff to think about), He asked me so gently to give up that thing I wanted, because He had something better.   So, very reluctantly and without a lot of hope that what he said was true I handed over what I wanted.  I didn't have long to wait for the better thing that God had for me AND let me just tell you that better thing reminds me daily for the last 12 years that God knows better than I do.  God knows exactly what we need and He wants to give us good things, but we have to trust that He knows better than we do. 

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.  James 1:17

When Jesus was on earth he made a point to reveal the Father heart of God.  He said when you pray "Pray Our Father in Heaven."  WHY?  He wants us to see God as our Father.  What do Fathers do?  They provide, they protect, they comfort, they love, and they love to give good things to their children. 

One of my favorite verses is "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."  Psalm 37:4.   As we delight in Him and we learn to trust him, He changes us and our desires become what He desires, and then we are ready to receive the good things he has for us.  

The Children of Israel remind me a lot of my tiny dictators (and myself) as God is leading them through the Wilderness, AFTER he has rescued them from Egypt, all they do is complain.  WHINE and COMPLAIN and everytime He gives them what they need, but this ONE time he gave them what they wanted... 

And when the people complained, it displeased the Lord: and the Lord heard it; and his anger was kindled..." Numbers 11

Every morning the Lord had been sending them manna from heaven to eat, but the people were not satisfied with this.  I'm not going to pretend I know why God gave them manna, BUT I do know that God knows better than we do.  Once again the people were complaining (because that's what they did) and God had had ENOUGH, so He gave them what they wanted. 

And there went forth a wind from the Lord, and brought quail from the sea, and they fell on the camp... and the people stood up all that day and that night and the next day and gathered the quail...  and while the flesh was yet between their teeth, before it was chewed, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord struck them with a very great plague...and there they buried the people that lusted.  Num 11:31-34

One thing I take away from this passage is, LORD, PLEASE DON'T GIVE ME WHAT I WANT.  Help me TRUST that you will always give me what I need, and that you are not withholding anything GOOD from me.  You know what I need and you know what's good for me so help me trust you. 

My little people may know what they want, but I know what they need.  I know things they don't know...  like that sugar tastes really good, but it's not good for you.  I know that you may want to swim, but it's cold and you don't want to get hypothermia?!  AND I for that matter do not want a sick kid IF I don't have to have one.   I know that you may HATE learning to read, but if you do not you will NEVER get a job and I don't want you living off me forever.  You may HATE math and want to play outside forever, BUT as your mom I have to make you do things that are GOOD for you!!! 

So, if God hasn't given you something, maybe there is a REALLY GOOD reason.  Maybe he knows things you don't know.  Maybe he sees the future hurt and pain in your life, and maybe he has something way better for you...  but you need to trust Him and DON'T EVER MAKE HIM GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by... let me know what's on your mind!

You've changed

 It's a subtle thing that I don't think people even realize they are doing but it's always there, that look in their eyes and th...