Thursday, May 14, 2015

Heavy Weight

Push-ups, crunches, lunges, OH MY.  High knees, Butt-kicks, Jumping Jacks OH MY.  I decided a few months ago that I was tired of putting up with extra weight.  I will be 38 this year and with age and 5 pregnancies my body was out of shape.  My hormones were completely out of whack.  I was suffering from depression, anxiety, adrenal fatigue, and thyroid issues.  I didn't have enough energy to make it through the day.  I was suffering and everyone in my family was suffering from my bad moods and fatigue, so I made a commitment to lose the extra weight I had gained and get my body in shape.  I knew it was possible because I am blessed to be surrounded by woman my age who are in amazing shape.  With my goal set and my heart committed I decided my course of action, and I haven't looked back.

I chose the diet of choice which was Trim Healthy Mama.  I know me and I can't do super restrictive.  That's why I LOVE THM, I can still have a lot of my favorite things, but in a different way.  I didn't follow the rules exactly and I was ok with my weight loss taking a little bit longer.  I wanted this new way of eating to make since for me to stick with for life.  Feeling better was almost immediate when I removed all the crap food and the good food started to nourish my hormones.  It's unbelievable how much our hormones affect our life for good or bad.  The first few pounds came off and that motivated me to keep going.

Hand in hand with a healthy diet you NEED exercise.  We all know that we need exercise and that the benefits are numerous, but maybe like me, you feel like you don't have time.  I didn't know how I could fit it in during an already busy day, but I knew I wanted the results and benefits so I was gonna have to make it happen.  I decided to workout with Jillian Michaels on video in my living room.  Her workouts were 25 minutes long and I thought for sure I can carve that out of my day.  I have never been a lover of exercise, but now after seeing the benefits I can't wait for my workout each day.  Movement has a way of working out the stress that consumes me.  Every time my head mysteriously clears of all the anxiety I had before I started that 20 minute workout. 

 Today, after a few months of hard work and commitment I FEEL amazing.  I can tell my hormones have been reset.  I have more energy than I can remember having in my life, and my life doesn't feel so overwhelming.  I feel stronger mentally, emotionally and physically.   I have had to buy new clothes twice as my body has shed the extra weight and my clothes have gone from size 12 to size 6.  I haven't seen that size in 10 years.   The most amazing thing for me though is not the weight loss as much as seeing my body change shape and watching as the hard work develops lean muscle that I have never had.   All those lunges, squats, push-ups, plank jacks, etc. are changing my body and I'm addicted.   The fact that having 5 children and being close to 40 doesn't mean that I have to accept extra, flabby weight is exciting. 

I'm sure you know though that I didn't write this blog just to tell you about my weight loss.  As usual I have an alterior motive. 

When we give our lives to Christ he has a goal for our lives and that is to transform us into HIS image.   The bible says God's ways and our ways are not the same, so this transformation takes work.  It takes the right diet...  God's Word.  We need a steady intake of the wholesome, life giving Word of God.  The word goes in and the junk goes out. 

All scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.  2 Timothy 3:16-17

Along with a steady diet of God's Word we NEED to exercise our faith.  That's why we have plenty of daily trials to strengthen our faith. 

Therefore we do not give up. Even though our outer person is being destroyed, our inner person is being renewed day by day.  For our momentary light affliction is producing for us an absolutely incomparable eternal weight of glory.  So we do not focus on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.  2 Corinthians 4:16-18

This verse is talking about the hard things a Christian endures...  the things that hurt, the things that are inconvenient, the things that we would rather not have as a part of our lives.  These things are serving a purpose.  These hard things, like the 3lb weight that I'm using to tone my muscles, are transforming us inwardly.  These hard things are increasing our faith as we see God work in our lives.   The Bible says without faith is is impossible to please God...  so he sends us plenty of opportunities to increase our faith.  Then faith produces patience.  James 1:4 tells us "let patience have it's perfect work, that YOU may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. 

Together these momentary light afflictions and the Word of God are transforming us into the people God desires for us to be.  We are getting stronger.   Like our bodies getting ready for summer....  our hearts are getting ready for Heaven.  One day we will look back and see all the hard work and we can say it was worth it all...  One day. 

Consider it all JOY...  whenever you experience various trials.  James 1:2 

Being SURE that they are necessary and essential part of our Christian life.  Knowing that the trials are producing in us what nothing else can!  Today, when you are tempted to complain about that hard thing, rejoice instead knowing that God has given you a little chance to flex that faith muscle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by... let me know what's on your mind!

You've changed

 It's a subtle thing that I don't think people even realize they are doing but it's always there, that look in their eyes and th...