Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Defense Wins Championships...

But let all those who put their trust in YOU rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because you defend them:  let them also that love YOUR NAME be joyful in YOU.  Psalms 5:11

The NAME of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous run into it and are safe.  Prov 18:10

He ONLY is my ROCK and my salvation: He is my defense: I shall not be moved. Ps 62:6

You can score 100 points in a basketball game, but if you don't have good defense you're gonna lose.  You can have a great offense, but the championship comes down to who has the BEST defense.  Who can keep the other team from scoring. 

Last night we were having a bible study at our house.  We were talking about Heaven and seeking first the kingdom of God.   The focus was on having an eternal perspective and how that changes everything, but we have an enemy who hates that kind of thing...  Our enemy plays dirty. 

Tactic 1...  distraction.   Right in the middle of God getting our attention on eternal things a couple of the kids run in the house frantically saying "a nail went through Andrew's foot."  Tactic #2 attach the young.  After that moment there was chaos for the rest of the night.   The husband carries in the 4 yr old with a hole in his foot, screaming.  We started working on his foot (which took forever with all the crying and screaming), and right in the middle of that chaos the 6 year old comes in crying because he has a bad ear ache.   By this point the baby is crying because it's getting late and he's tired and just wants momma.   Forget Heaven at this point I'm dealing with straight up chaos.   Finally, everyone got doctored and passed out in momma's bed...  all 3 little boys. 

After the storm passed I just sat and cried.  I cried because I knew that was an attack by the enemy.  He totally diverted everyone's attention.  He totally came in and struck hard.  I cried because the enemy decided what was happening at my house last night was important enough to come and "try" to screw it up.  I cried because God is allowing good things to go on at my house.  I am so unworthy, but I am honored to be on His team.  He chose me.  You know like the kid who always gets left on the bench, because they aren't any good, so no one wants to pick you.  I cried for pure joy, because last night our bible study was centered around Romans 8:18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." 

I cried because in a small way I have been able to say that with Paul (although he suffered a lot more than I have).   As I knew the night would go it did...  The one with the hurt toe was up a lot crying.  I was up holding him and praying over him and singing over him.  When he finally fell asleep the little guy was up and back and forth.  It was a tough night...  we've all had those. 

What happens when you are up all night?  You think and you're tired.  That's not a good combo.  Enemy tactic #3 discouragement.  This is one of the enemies greatest weapons.  To discourage means to DEPRIVE of hope, or confidence; dishearten; dispirit.   To dissuade. 

That is exactly what the enemy does.  He attacks when you are weak and he discourages you.  He takes away your courage to continue.  This is why you MUST have a strong defense.   GREATER is HE that is IN ME than he that is in this world.  WE are MORE than overcomers through Christ.- Rom 8. 

Jesus said "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart I have overcome the world."

Looking up at those verses in the beginning it says the NAME of the LORD is a STRONG TOWER, the righteous run into it and they are safe.  We have to run to the NAME of the LORD.  That is our defense and what is the name of the Lord? 

King of Kings....  NO ONE HIGHER
Lord of Lords....  enemy is subject to HIM.
Lord of Hosts....  host meaning the army of heaven.
Our Rock....
Our Fortress....
Our Salvation...
Our Redeemer...

There are plenty of names of God in the Bible to choose from.  The point is trusting in Him and what he says about himself.  The point is taking those thoughts captive and making them subject to obey Christ.  We have the BEST defense their is...  We are the children of God.  He is our Father and HE FIGHTS FOR US.

God used a friend to encourage me today and she probably had no idea how bad I needed that at that moment.  Doubts and fears and thoughts of inadequacy had been plaguing me all morning.   Discouragement had been my constant companion.  Her words gave me strength and the courage and the hope to continue.   He used her to lift up my head.  He is our defense. 

In this world we will have trouble, but the LORD OF HOSTS fights for us.  Nothing can separate us from the Love of God.  Though the enemy tries and roams around seeking whom he may devour our Hope is in God and He is our defense.  We have the BEST defense and we will win when the final buzzer sounds.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by... let me know what's on your mind!

You've changed

 It's a subtle thing that I don't think people even realize they are doing but it's always there, that look in their eyes and th...