Friday, February 17, 2012

A God of His Word...

It's amazing how many things a person can fear...  Worry and dread steal our joy and often cause us to panic over the future.  I have recently been through one of those times that I ALWAYS dreaded...  The death of a parent.  In the past I have questioned how I would handle if one of my parents passed from this life to the next?!   Fear of the future can rob us of the peace of the present.  

As most of you know my mom has been very ill.  She went home to be with the Lord on the 13th of February.   My mom had cancer...  I know it's a dirty word.  I hate it too.  But, the funny thing about this horrible word cancer is that it gives (us) the living TIME...  Time to process the horrible prospect of a future without our loved one.  It gives us time to say the things we need to say.  It gives us perspective on what is TRULY important, like spending every minute you can with the one you will soon lose.  I am personally thankful for this TIME.  I am thankful for what this ugly cancer did to change us all and draw us closer to each other and closer to our Saviour.  I am thankful for the gift of spending the last 12 hours of my mother's life holding her hand and singing to her, reading beloved scripture that has now taken on new life...  

When we knew that my Mom was not going to get better I cried bitter tears.  IT HURTS to lose someone you love.  I cried for her.  I cried for me.  I thought of all the things we wouldn't get to do.  I said things to myself like she is too young at 52 to leave us like this.  I said things like what will I do without her.  I screamed and I yelled in my spirit.  I didn't want to give her up.  SHE IS MINE...  I told the Lord.   The thing is SHE IS NOT MINE.  She is HIS.  My mom was only on loan to me for a while.  So now I need to cherish those that are loaned to me FOR NOW. 

There are a few things that I have learned along the way...  Life is short.  Life is precious.  Life is fragile.  We are not promised tomorrow.  The people we love are only on loan for a while.  We must be prepared to release them when it is time.   The ONLY person we will ALWAYS have is JESUS.  HE is the only one who can keep his promise that HE will NEVER leave us or forsake us.   HE IS ENOUGH.

And Finally I learned that our God is a God of his word.  He will give you peace that doesn't even make sense.  He will walk with you and carry you when you are  not able to stand.  He will heal your heart if you let him.   I know this is just the beginning of my journey, but my God has been so faithful this far that I am not afraid of tomorrow.  No matter what happens in this life He will walk with me.  I will see those I love again.  Heaven is my home with my God and anyone who chooses to accept His invitation. 

There is no need to fear the future...  Don't worry about what you would do if you were in someone else's situation.  The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."  He's gonna give you the grace you need.  He's gonna give you the strength you need.   Philippians 4:7 "And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  He's gonna give you peace... 

There are so many promises in God's word that bring the child of God comfort.  Read it.  Read about Heaven...  How could I want her back when she is in that GLORIOUS place.  I'm going there too, so why would I want her back when I'm gonna see her soon??? 

Thank you Father for keeping your promises.  You are an AWESOME GOD.  You are my everything.  What more could I want than you?! 

1 comment:

  1. Angela, you encourage me! I think of the verse that says consider it all joy when you face trials....joy in that if we let Him do his work during the hard times we face we will look more like Him. Lookin' more like Him everyday, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by... let me know what's on your mind!

You've changed

 It's a subtle thing that I don't think people even realize they are doing but it's always there, that look in their eyes and th...