Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Man and the slave...

I remember the day like it was yesterday... I was a slave on the selling block. I don't remember how long I had been there. It could have been days or years. I had had many owners before. I had been beaten, bruised, and used. I no longer had any value of my own. The sun was beaming down and I knew every one could see the dirt staining me. All those people just staring and laughing. I heard the comments "Who would want her." "Shouldn't they just throw her away." "What's the point of her life?" It was constant and I KNEW they were right. I had lost hope long before that it would ever be different. That would take a miracle...

One day that started out like all the rest I was standing in the Hot sun listening to the comments, wishing for death to relieve this shame and humiliation. All of sudden there was a commotion... A man walking up and everyone could tell that this man was not like the rest. He was good and pure and I don't know how I knew it, but I did. Something about this man was like no other. I watched Him with lowered eyes curious what He would do. Who was He looking for? The slaves with strength and grace? I was sure there were plenty up there who could meet His need whatever that might be, but I knew He would never even see me.

After a few minutes I just looked off and went to some other place in my mind. As I stood there unaware of what was going on around me I felt a hand on my chin lifting up my head. I had not been touched in that way for a long time. When people had touched me it was either harsh or forceful. This touch was gentle and kind. I looked up startled by this touch right into the eyes of the most amazing man I had ever seen. He smiled and turned to the rest of the stunned crowd that was watching and said I'll take this one. I didn't even know what He said because the words were so foreign. For a moment He left me there to go haggle for my price. I think the man in charge said the man could just have me, but this man refused. He said he wanted to pay the greatest price for me...

In a daze I went along with this man as he took my hand and led me to his home. He told me many things on the way. Things like I was no longer a slave. He said I had many brothers and sisters and that He would adopt me in his family. He told me that no matter what He would never leave me or forsake me. He said He would never abuse or use me. He said He loved me with an unconditional love that even He said I would never understand, but it was true anyway. As He talked He said "I really wanted you to listen and believe, because it would really make a difference." He seemed to always be telling me wonderful things.

As much as I wanted to believe these things I just knew it was too good to be true. So, I continued to think like a slave. I tried to earn his love, but I knew I never could. I ran away many times. On one of those times I had run back to the chains of slavery He came after me and this time things went terribly wrong. I had sold myself back to a horrible master. When the man came chasing after me this time the slave master said my freedom would cost more than the man could pay. The man would have pay with His life if he really wanted me to be free... To my shame and horror that is exactly what the man did. Right there in front of my eyes He gave His life for me. There I was FREE, but at such a GREAT PRICE. Why had my freedom cost His life. For three days I just sat there. Stunned by the actions of this man. Paralyzed by guilt. Then all of a sudden something too amazing to believe happened. The man who had laid down His life for me was standing in front of me. ALIVE AGAIN. Standing there with an outstretched hand. I would never be the same after that day.

Because of what He had done I now believed that He could do anything He said. I believed if He loved me then I must be worthy of more than slavery. I was convinced and I will never be the same again...

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life."

I Cor 6:20 "For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

Romans 8:15 "For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but you have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby, we cry, Abba, FATHER."

Phil 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."

Thank you Heavenly Father for the MAN who laid His life down to REDEEM me. I am unworthy!!!

1 comment:

Thanks for coming by... let me know what's on your mind!

You've changed

 It's a subtle thing that I don't think people even realize they are doing but it's always there, that look in their eyes and th...